Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage)
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- ½ c onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 T sugar
- 1½ t dried basil leaves
- ½ t fennel seeds (I usually omit this)
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 T salt (I usually reduce to a couple teaspoons)
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- 4 T chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles (regular or no cook. I usually use no cook noodles.)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ t salt
- ¾ pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¾ c grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until cooked through and browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water, and stir everything together.
- Add sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 T salt, pepper, and 2 T parsley, and stir to combine.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. I usually try to simmer for as long as possible.
- If using regular lasagna noodles, cook according to package instructions and drain.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To assemble, spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of noodles over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.